Got the clutter out or working on it? Here’s how to keep it out! Over and over again, I see the ‘Three Biggies’ really challenge some of the most organized people. Control these three, and you’ll go from ‘getting organized’ to BEING organized!
Really look at your purchasing habits. One client told me she frequently pretended that I was the ‘angel on her shoulder’ while in stores, asking her these questions:
- Do you really NEED that item?
- Is there a specific place in your home for that item?
- Would buying that item help you toward your goal?
- How many of those magazine subscriptions do you have? If it takes you about an hour to read a magazine and you have 6 subscriptions, do you really have 6 hours per month to devote solely to reading those magazines? Keep only those you truly love AND read, cancel the rest.
- Take back control of your mailbox. Sign up for Catalog Choice, PaperKarma, or another of the online services to get off of mailing lists.
- Keep a recycling bin or trashcan just inside your garage. Sort your mail each day while standing over the bin. Junk mail doesn’t even get a chance to clutter up your house!
- Go through your kids’ graded papers each week. Get your kids involved to decide what is kept and what is recycled.
- At the end of each school year, celebrate by sorting through what was kept and keep only the ‘best of the best’ for each kid’s memento bin.